Please review the following guide carefully and make sure that the manuscript you are going to propose meets the requirements. Thank you.
I. BASIC DETAILS
Kutafin University Law Review (KULawR) is a journal of Kutafin Moscow State Law University (MSAL). It is one of the first Russian university law journals published in English.
KULawR is published twice a year and both of its versions (hard copy and online one) are available for the readers. Above all, we provide free open access to all materials of the Journal through our website. At the moment publications in KULawR are free, also for the authors.
KULawR targets to develop legal thought and publishes the researches on various legal aspects. In particular it deals with International and European law including law of international organizations and integrational associations, various aspects of public and private law of different countries, various branches of substantive and procedural law for example civil law, criminal law, labor law, administrative and constitutional law. The journal also deals with theoretical and practical parts of law including law traditions and innovations, historical issues, and the current controversies concerning law and justice.
III. PUBLICATION CRITERIA
All papers submitted for publication in KULawR should comply with basic criteria set out below, which are applied by the editorial team and reviewers to decide whether or not to publish the paper. Before submitting a paper, please read the following chapters in particular:
1. Focus of papers
The title of a paper must really correspond to its content. Failure to meet this condition may result in the rejection of the paper in the peer review process. All papers should be written in English. The text should be free from grammar mistakes and excessive typing errors.
(1) KULawR strongly prefers the manuscripts that:
(a) are relevant to the scope of the Journal, mentioned above;
(b) are made in accordance with the ethics policy of the Journal;
(c) has not previously been published;
(d) are written in good English; and
(e) can be interesting for their potential readers and present scientific achievements in the law field. For these reasons we kindly recommend to make as many footnotes as possible referring to the works of the well-known scientists, paying particular attention to those works which were published in well-known law magazines.
Types of submissions
There are several types of submissions in our journal: articles, lectures, essays (only scholarly submissions); case and legislation comments, book reviews, scientific events reviews:
(a) the article investigates the important law problem;
(b) the lecture covers the issues of evolution, modern position and development prospects of fundamental law institute;
(c) the essay presents some new idea of the author, but usually it's less detailed than the article.
Sometimes the differences between article, lecture and essay might be not so visible.
All files should be submitted as a Word document.
Formatting of the text
The text of a paper should be written in Times New Roman
- sheet format - A4 (210x297 mm);
- all brims - 20 mm;
- type - Times New Roman 12;
- line gap – 1,5;
- indent – 1,5;
- page footnotes (OSCOLA standards)
3. Length Limitations
(a) articles: from 6,000 to 20,000 characters (incl. spaces). Optimal size – 20 000 characters;
(b) lectures and essays: under 10,000 characters (incl. spaces). Optimal size – 10 000 characters;
(c) book reviews, scientific events reviews, cases and legislation comments: under 5,000 characters (incl. spaces).
The Editorial Board has the right to accept submissions that are above the lengths mentioned above.
4. Structure of papers
The text may be divided into chapters and subchapters. Each chapter or subchapter is numbered. Headings of chapters are in boldface, headings of subchapters are in boldface italics.
Author Details (in English)
Details should be supplied on the Article Title Page including:
a) the author’s data in English (You should include your name and name of your co-author (if necessary)
- Full Name and Surname (if so);
- Scientific Degree, Position, Place of Work, Study or Post-Graduate Study (full name and abbreviation);
- work address (with index),
- contact telephone number,
The abstract must briefly define the selected problem and its context, the main aims of the paper, and the final result or finding. Its length must meet the requirements of the respective section
Abstract is in English – approximately 500 characters with spaces (4-6 sentences).
3-5 key words in English.
Table of contents
It contains manuscript’s chapters and subchapters.
The headings should be numbered. The headings must be concise, with a clear indication of the distinction between the hierarchy of headings.
Basic manuscript structure:
- introduction, where the current results in the researching field and the goals achieving new knowledge should be presented;
- main part which, depending on type of the manuscript, can consist on sections (materials, methodology, results and its discussion etc.);
- conclusion, where the new results and its theoretical and practical value significance should be reflected;
- bibliography (OSCOLA standard).
5. Some other important formalistic requirements
(1) We recommend our contributors to avoid using the passive voice form in the submissions.
(2) Only hyphenate the words that appear hyphenated in official dictionaries. Do not hyphenate at the ends of the lines. Do not use word processor auto-numbering functions.
(3) Please send a Word file to the e-mail: email@example.com
In the name of the file you should specify the following information:
name and surname of the author and title of the article
(4) In the text of the letter (e-mail) please specify the subject-matter of the article
6. Examples of the paper
The example the paper can be viewed here.
1. The Kutafin University Law Review is a peer-reviewed journal. We use a double blind review procedure. Submissions are subject to evaluation by an editorial board team headed by two Editors-in-Chief, and by two anonymous external experts. Based on the results of the estimation we make one of the following decision: acceptance, rejection or need to revise. We inform the contributor about our decision by email within eight weeks after we receive the manuscript, although exceptions to this timeframe may occur.
2. We make the evaluation process based on several criteria (please see Manuscript Review on our website). While a good quality of the manuscript is a must, it is not the only condition for the publication. Relevance to the KULawR's scope and balance of the topics in each issue are also very important. Please do not associate the rejection only with the bad quality of a manuscript.
3. In case of the manuscript acceptance we inform contributor about the magazine issue wherein his submission will be published within two weeks the acceptance decision.
4. We strongly ask every contributor to sign a copyright agreement before the submission publishing in KULawR.
5. We inform our contributors of any correction made, via email.
The best ideas are always welcomed!